In 2018, I produced a guidebook for scientists writing popular science articles for Forskerzonen and ResearcherZone at ScienceNordic in collaboration with Anders Høegh Lammers, editor at Forskerzonen. The book was sent as an ebook to scientists to help them write articles for a non-expert audience.
It covers key topics, such as:
- How to structure a popular science article
- How to hone your take-home message
- How to find a killer opening sentence and headline
- A series of lookup tables to avoid some of the most common mistakes that we came across as popsci editors
- The dos and don’ts of effective scicomm
It was prepared in Affinity Publisher Beta Edition. This works pretty much the same way as Adobe Indesign and has virtually the same functionality. But, since it is still in beta phase it is currently available to download free.